Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Candy Land Birthday Party

Okay so I have to pat myself on the back for Brayden's party.  It was simply adorable.  It's kind of crappy, and stupid, that I spent probably 200 hours working on a party that lasted for three hours.  But whatever.  I'm glad I did it and won't regret any part of it.  I still wish I had done more for Kien's first birthday.  I didn't get some pictures of some cute things, like the gift table and the lattice-display with banner that had a blue background (it was just a vinyl tablecloth behind the lattice) and instead got a pic after the tablecloth already came down.  I also didn't get a picture of the "lollipop" with the awesome "Rainbow Pass" arrow on it that pointed the way to the party.  Oh well, I did get lots of other great photos.  Great memories too :)


Brayden's cake, banner, and my family







Giant CANDY Pinata






Kien with a slice of cake from the top section

bottom section of the cake


This was hanging above the gift table with a blue vinyl tablecloth behind it, it was totally adorable.  I wish I got a picture of the whole set-up!

Rainbow family
I made everything, I worked hard but it paid off. The next party pack that will be hitting my Etsy shop will be this Candy Land set.  As soon as I finish the thank you card I'll get the whole shabang listed. 

I got a lot of new experiences out of this. Like doing such a HIGH cake! I always layer, but normally I slice a "normal" 10" round in half and just throw something between those two half-layers. Also I made this frosting from scratch, it's the BEST cream cheese frosting ever and it's thanks to my mother-in-law for giving me her recipe.  Also I mixed up the colors of the rainbow when I was putting the colored cake in layers, and then I tried to slice the baked cake and fix it, but it really didn't matter in the end.  I greased the wrong side of the spring-form base :P. I spilled mod-podge all over the kitchen floor.  All the stress I put on myself made everything EXTRA humorous.  I have WAY too much candy left over, but I am pretty optimistic that Walmart will take a bunch of it back. OH and the pinata, I paper mache'ed it for weeks and finally got it shaped and decorated how I wanted it, coated the whole thing with glitter paint, and hung it outside to dry.  That night was the night that this desert decided to RAIN.  I had a smooshy soggy dented up and ripped pinata four days before the party.  OH WELL! I set it to dry and then taped the ripped part and glued the tissue paper back on.  It was still soft so I knew that when it got hit it would wither break quickly or dent and NEVER break.  It lasted through all the littler kids and girls, and then it broke before any of the big boys got a whack. The kids don't care if they hit it, they just want the innards.

No comments:

Post a Comment