Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Spring Break task: keeping the Kindergartener busy

Kien is happy playing Legos ALL DAY.  He might take a break to play cars or draw some pictures, but he is a generally easy kid.  The only bummer is that after a long enough stretch of him playing in his room he becomes a cranky little man.  He thrives off repetition, schedules, and routine.  So I have to incorporate some kind of organized structure in between the Lego airplane and Lego beach house just so we can have a sane evening.  Spring break is only a total of ten days, but the first day will be a day of soccer-shoe shopping and stocking up on supplies for the next week.  I've compiled a list of things I want to enjoy so I can put some creative structure in to Kien's day and get him out of his beloved bedroom.  My standards are that they all need to be realistically completed by working for about an hour at a time because that's the maximum time frame that Brayden lets me leave him alone for. Each project needs to be affordable, either using things I already have or by spending not more than a couple dollars.

#1: Painting pots 
My first thought was to pick up some cheap terracotta pots. I might still do that, but there's a chance I'll spend the first day paper mache-ing (what would the verb of paper mache be?) on to plastic posts we already have because we have a lot.  you know, those cheap green ones that potted plants from the store come in? They're floating all over my yard and garage.  So paper mache, paint (have it), and spray-sealer (have it) should do the trick.  I hope.  We'll see :)


#2: Yarn-wrapped picture frame
Cardboard (have it) cut into picture frames, various colors of yarn (I have teal, gray, ivory, and pink, maybe I'll let Kien pick out a new color if there are any small balls on sale).  Wrap the yarn  around the frame, and VOILA, a picture frame.  Maybe we can make a few coordinating ones and will have a beautiful montage on the walls. Art is always better when the kids create it on their own.





#3: Pretend stained glass
 Between two pieces of wax paper (have it) sprinkle crayon (have it) shavings, pictures, and anything that's flat like pieces of grass, flowers, magazine cut-outs, etc.  Iron it all slowly and once it's all done and pretty we can hang it in the windows, or maybe put it in the frames we made ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment