Monday, December 19, 2011

Shelling

Over the last few days I've had the chance to take the boys to two beaches. Day one we hit up Anaeho'omalu ("A-Bay") in Waikoloa Beach Resort. It was a beautiful day, a little breezy, but beautiful. Kien and I found a lot of broken shells and a few super good finds. For the amount of broken cowrey's we found, I wouldn't say it's the best shell beach.
Then on Sunday Ryan was able to join me and the little boys at Old Airport beach in Kona. There's a little cove that is never crowded that I just LOVE. We used to go there all the time when Kien was little and as I sat there yesterday I wondered why we don't go more often. It has tide pools to play in and even a small sandy area surrounded by rocks that makes it like a baby pond. The shelling there was a lot of the same from A-bay. Lots of broken bits, a few good finds, but the perk of Old A's vs A-bay was that there were opihi. I'm sure the shells were left over from locals picking opihi and cooking them up and leaving the shell. How ever they got there, I was glad to find the shells. Those polish up real beautifully when sanded and ground down enough. It's a lot of work but the reward is killer.

Irregardless of how the shelling was, I had two beautiful beach days with my guys and I loved it. Brayden loved the rocky sand at Old Airport, he liked it between his fingers and kept throwing handfuls. Anything to keep it out his mouth pleased me :) for not being home, Kien was great. He's a homebody, but yesterday he was out in the tide pools and swimming and having all sorts of adventures.

On a family/beach high,
Lyn
A few of our treasures from A-Bay

Ryan and Kien

No comments:

Post a Comment