Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ferber vs. Brayden night 1

In the red corner, the big-personality almost-six-month old. In the blue corner, Ferber Sleep Method enforced by the weak-for-baby mommy.

The Ferber sleep method involves a modified "cry-it-out" plan where the baby is left alone for regulated, and increasingly longer, intervals of time until theoretically the baby soothes himself to sleep. Read the "Ferber vs Brayden" post to find out why I've had to resort to letting my precious baby cry :(

Quick recap of night one:
6:30 Bath
Lotion massage & jammies
6:50 Nurse
7:00 Bell rings on round one
7:10 Round two
7:21 Round Three
7:28 nurse
7:47 walking out of Brayden's room victorious.

initial put-down:
Lots of kisses and "good nights" as I lay him in his crib. I get out of sight.
He is fine for two minutes then starts to fuss.

First interval: 5 minutes
Then butt-pat and singing and kisses.

Second interval: 7 minutes. Brayden is really crying. This is hard and I have never before seen my timer on my phone tick the seconds and minutes by so slowly. More butt-pats and kisses and prying my hair out of his grip.

Third interval: 7 minutes. This time he one he has tears so I pick my sad baby up. Holding him isn't calming him down I figure he's hungry. Sure enough he gulps down and drains both sides.

He starts to drift off in my arms, startles a bit when I put him down but just looks around his crib and THE EYELIDS DROP!

Final bell rings at 7:47 as I am closing his bedroom door behind me and heading in to the shower.

11 hours and 13 minutes later I get my baby out of bed to feed him

Mommy: 1, Ferber:.5 (since I half-way followed the rules)

Tonight I have the PTSA meeting 6-7:00 so it'll be up to daddy to get the ball rolling. I'll report again tomorrow.

Rested up (or at least better than yesterday),
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment