Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Frozen Pizza

A dinner staple in my house is the luxurious, glamourous, healthy... FROZEN PIZZA. At $9 each for a Digorno or Tombstone it was a pretty cheap meal for the three of us... until Kien started eating more than one piece, which was around the same time I was pregnant and basking in the fact that I was "eating for two". We suddenly required two pizzas which only left enough for Kien to have leftovers for lunch the next day. Do the math and we're up to $18 for dinner for three and lunch for one. That's $4.50 per "serving" (I mean real servings, not the puny amount listed on the package), YEEOUCH!

I am so glad that my eyes were opened to Kirkland's frozen pizzas (not the take-and-bake crap that always gets burned). At $10 for a four pack of frozen cheese pizzas you cannot go wrong. The greatest pizza topping ever is PESTO. Some pesto smeared all over the pizza and even some Aidells Chicken Sausage (any flavor) or Tyson grilled chicken breast and we've got a pizza straight from a chef's oven ;) Tonight it was just Kien and I at home for dinner so I made just one pizza with pesto. I buy a jar of pesto from Costco, which we use for anything and everything. Now to the point of this rambling: My Kirkland frozen pizza + pesto costs a whopping... $2.84. For the entire pizza. It only cost $1.42 per person for Kien and I to eat dinner tonight. !!!

Pesto adds Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, and Protein to the pizza. Be aware that it also adds quite a bit of saturated fats, but if you're eating a pizza I'm sure the saturated fats aren't your concern.

In all this talk about pesto and $savings, I haven't even mentioned how DELICIOUS the pizza actually is. The light crust tastes buttery. The cheese is a perfect flavorful blend. It is [by far] a favorite in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment