Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ferber vs. Brayden

So. Tired. Zombie mom. Help. Coffee. I need to spike my coffee with cocaine. Totally kidding. Stay away from drugs.

Brayden has been a perfect night sleeper since he was two days old. He started with waking up every two hours. Then a few weeks later he would go to sleep entirely on his own and woke up every 3 hours. He then transitioned to waking up only once or twice at night. Suddenly when he was two months old he slept for a straight 12 hours one night. Then again the next night. After the third night of this I celebrated and bragged to everyone that would listen. To my sheer pleasure, he was a 7pm-7am sleeper.

So imagine my frustration when at 5 1/2 months old he decided to stay up til 3:30AM last night!!! He had the hardest time falling asleep and relaxing and wanted to be held but then wouldn't relax. It was just H E L L for both of Brayden's exhausted parents. Especially since I'm the bed-time Nazi.

We aren't the "cry it out" kind of parents but also won't be co-sleeping with him (did that with Kien and he was a-whole-nother form of difficult). We found a decent middle-ground in the Ferber Method (http://pediatrics.about.com/od/sleep/a/110_ferber_mthd.htm) but will still be altering it because I don't like the idea of Brayden crying so much.

Re-starting the new crazy-strict bedtime tonight and I'll report back. My first hurdle will be regulating Brayden's naps. He's going to want to sleep all day. So do I, but that's not an option in mommyhood.

Wish me luck,

Sleepless in Hawaii,
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment